This integration is available from the Pro plan and above.
The Intercom Articles integration allows you to import articles and collections from Intercom to your Lokalise project and translate the content with ease. After the translations are ready, you may export them back to Intercom with just a couple of clicks.
Let's see how to setup Intercom Articles integrations and choose data to translate.
In order to set integration properly, you will need the following Intercom access rights:
- Install, configure, and delete apps.
- Manage articles.
Connecting Lokalise to Intercom
- To get started, open your Lokalise project and proceed to More > Integrations.
- Find Intercom Articles and click Connect.
- Then click Connect again to integrate Intercom with Lokalise.
- Review the requested permissions and click Authorize access.
After setting up the integration, you will see a list of your articles and collections available on Intercom:
To be able to translate these items, you will need to link them. Therefore, choose one or more items by ticking the checkboxes next to the titles and then click Link items. If the Create missing languages option is enabled then all languages that are not present in your Lokalise project but are available on Intercom will be created automatically.
Note, by the way, that in order to add more languages to Intercom, you should proceed to Articles > Help Center > Settings > Localize your Help Center. Then click Add language and choose one of the options from the dropdown.
Please remember that if you have added a new language to Intercom but have not created at least one article, collection, or section in this language, Lokalise will not be able to synchronize this language properly due to Intercom limitations.
After pressing the Link items button, you will be presented with a brief operation summary. Later you may return to the integration page, click Link more items and link additional items in the same way.
Working with the translation keys
After the items were linked, you may proceed to your project editor. Translation keys containing the linked items will be assigned the following tags:
- Intercom Articles — assigned to all items imported by Intercom Articles integration.
- Article — assigned to the keys that represent articles.
- title — assigned to the keys that contain article titles.
- description — assigned to the keys containing article or collection descriptions.
- body — assigned to the keys containing article bodies (main text).
- Collection — assigned to the keys that represent collections.
- Section — assigned to the keys that represent sections.
- name — assigned to the keys containing collection or section names.
- Additionally, every key has a tag containing the item name (for collections) or title (for articles). For example, if some key contains body of an article named "Hello", then this key will be assigned a
Please note that Intercom has length limitations for certain items (article titles, collection names etc). Therefore when performing translations you will see the maximum allowed length:
Exporting to Intercom
After you have finished with translating your content, it's time to export new strings back to Intercom! To achieve that, proceed to More > Integrations > Intercom Articles and choose one or more items that you would like to export:
Use the Content type dropdown to filter the displayed items. Available options are:
After choosing the items, press Export to Intercom Articles. Choose what languages you would like to export and adjust the options:
- Convert exported to draft — when enabled, all exported items will be saved as drafts. Drafts are visible only to Intercom team members but not to regular visitors.
Once you are ready, press OK. The chosen items will be uploaded to Intercom!
Please note that empty translations will be ignored and won't be exported to Intercom!
Importing from Intercom
You may import updated content from Intercom to Lokalise for the items that were already linked. To achieve that, proceed to More > Integrations > Intercom Articles and choose one or more items that you would like to import from Intercom. Next, click Import from Intercom Articles. You will be presented with the following dialog:
Choose the languages that you would like to import. If the Overwrite updated translations option is enabled, all translation values for the chosen languages on Lokalise will be overwritten with the data from Intercom.
The items can be unlinked from the Lokalise project. To achieve that, proceed to More > Integrations > Intercom Articles and choose one or more items that you would like to unlink. Next simply click Unlink.